Photo courtesy of Clara Barton High School
U.S. Attorney of Brooklyn, Breon Peace
By the forum team
The United States recently filed a civil lawsuit in federal court in Brooklyn against Fresenius Vascular Care, Inc., alleging that the company performed unnecessary procedures on dialysis patients at nine centers in New York, Long Island and Westchester, and had billed Medicare, Medicaid, the Federal Health Benefits Program and TRICARE for the procedures.
The complaint seeks damages and penalties under the False Claims Act.
As alleged in the complaint, from approximately January 1, 2012 to approximately June 30, 2018, Fresenius routinely performed certain procedures on patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) who were receiving dialysis, without sufficient clinical indication that the patients needed the procedures. . These procedures included fistulagrams, which are x-ray procedures in which dye is injected into the patient’s vein or artery to visualize the orifice and surrounding blood vessels, and angioplasties, in which wires and balloons are inserted into narrowed veins or arteries to restore the patient. blood flow. Fresenius knowingly subjected ESRD patients—which included the elderly, disadvantaged minorities, and low-income people—to these procedures to increase his income.
The defendants operated vascular access centers at the following locations during the relevant period:
- American Access Care of Bellmore (now “American Access Care Nassau County”),
250 Pettit Avenue, Suite 2, Bellmore, NY 11710
- American Access Care Brooklyn, 577 Prospect Avenue Lower Level, Brooklyn, NY 11215
- American Access Care of New York (now “American Access Care Manhattan”), 403
- 91st Street, Floor 2, New York, NY 10128
- American Access Care Queens, 176-60 Union Turnpike #130, Suite 130, Flushing,
- American Access Care Suffolk County, 32 Central Avenue, Hauppauge, NY 11788
- American Access Care Bronx, 1200 Waters Place N. Lobby, Suite M 115, Bronx, NY
- Saqib Chaudhry, MD – Flushing, 176-60 Union Turnpike Utopia Center, Suite 145,
Flushing, NY 11366
- Saqib Chaudhry, MD – Roslyn, 1044 Northern Boulevard, Suite 302, Roslyn, NY
11676 (no longer works)
- Verrazano Vascular Associates at Access Care Physicians, 2025 Richmond Ave,
Office 1LL, Staten Island, NY 10314